Invoicing with LawPay allows you to create itemized invoices and track time quickly and easily, all within LawPay. These invoices can be sent to clients digitally (or printed and mailed) with a request to pay via LawPay. Track invoice status in real time, and even sync with your QuickBooks Online account for bank account reconciliation.
Creating and editing an Invoice
To create a new Invoice, follow the below steps:
- Click Invoices from the left menu in LawPay and then New Invoice.
- Search for an existing client in the client email field or type in a new email for a new client. Keep in mind Contacts are synced between Quick Bills, Invoices, and Card Vault.
- Select the desired deposit account, the date range, an optional invoice number, and a note in the reference field if necessary.
Once complete, you can either Create Invoice or Create and Add Entry. If you click Create Invoice, you can add entries later.
Adding Entries on Invoices
If Create and Add Entry is selected, the new invoice is created, along with the New Invoice Entry modal. From here, a description, a quantity field, rate, and date can be added. If there is more than one entry to add, click Save and Add Another to continue. Negative time entries can be added in the case of a refund or discount that should be documented on the invoice. Line items will appear on the invoice in the background as they are added.
Viewing and Sending Invoices
After an Invoice has been created, the client details, invoice details and entries created in the previous step are displayed. At this point, the Invoice is in a “Draft” state. Once the invoice has been reviewed by all necessary personnel, it can be Marked as Ready. This indicates the Invoice has been reviewed and is ready to be sent. An invoice in “Ready” status can be changed back to Draft status by selecting the “draft” icon. An invoice in Draft status indicates it is not yet ready to be sent.
An overview of the actionable buttons:
- Send Invoice sends the invoice to the client. Once sent, the Invoice status is set to Sent.
- Mark as Paid allows you to record an offline payment in the instance the client paid by check or cash.
- Preview displays the PDF invoice that will be attached to the email the client receives once an invoice is sent.
- Print allows you to print the PDF invoice.
- Download saves the PDF invoice to your machine.
- Delete will permanently delete the invoice. Once an invoice is paid by the client, the invoice cannot be deleted. If the invoice was manually marked as paid by an administrator, it will need to be marked as unpaid before it can be deleted.
Once the invoice is ready to be sent, click Send invoice. A modal will appear to confirm the contact information and to add a customized subject line and message. Keep in mind, a default subject line and message can be set by going to Invoices and then clicking the gear icon in the top right.
Viewing all Invoices
To view all invoices, click Quick Bills from the left menu. Different filters can be applied to view specific Invoice statuses, Invoices for a particular deposit account, and invoices by activity.